Sunday, June 7, 2009

Meditation

I was a bit under the weather yesterday. In fact, as soon as Bruce sat down to eat his lunch, a turkey burger, I got sick on my stool and on the kitchen rug. I don't think I spoiled his lunch. And I don't know why I got sick. I hadn't even been outside yet; so no grass eating. I crept off to the bedroom and rested for a few hours in the windowsill. I thought about what Eknath Easwaran wrote the other day:

As a person abandons worn-out clothes and acquires new ones, so when the body is worn out a new one is acquired by the Self, who lives within.
– Bhagavad Gita

AH. I think I understand. The basis of meditation remains valid for all of us. Trying to speculate about previous or future lives serves no practical purpose, since this life is headache enough. Let us confine our attention to this life and try as far as our capacity goes to learn to love here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment